Job Description: This position provides leadership and guidance to the Infectious Disease Epidemiology Division within the Epidemiology Resource Center. This includes providing assistance and expertise for conducting infectious disease surveillance, investigating disease outbreaks, recommending control measures, and analyzing and interpreting infectious disease data. The position serves as a generalized disease subject matter expert to internal and external partners and provides medical consultation to the Public Health Protection and Laboratory Services Commission and the ISDH. This position ensures that deliverables and metrics for federal grants supporting division objectives and agency objectives are met. This position ensures continuity of operations in the absence of staff members and serves as the ISDH Duty Officer and Epidemiologist-On-Call for two biweekly periods per year.
· Supervises and coordinates infectious disease surveillance, investigation, prevention, and control activities of the Surveillance and Investigation Division. Reviews reports and other work product as needed.
· Provide medical consultation, especially regarding infectious diseases, for the Public Health Protection and Laboratory Services Commission and the ISDH.
· Assist with development, preparation, review and distribution of procedures and protocols for various infectious disease investigations;
· Coordinate department staff in responding to infectious disease outbreaks and public health emergencies;
· Serve as the principal investigator for the federal Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity grant;
· Achieve compliance with performance metrics established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the ISDH;
· Coordinate department staff in analyzing data gathered during epidemiologic investigations using appropriate statistical methods and computer software;
· Facilitate dissemination of epidemiologic information to media representatives, other health professionals, lay organizations, and private individuals when necessary;
· Cooperate with and secure assistance from various professionals and lay individuals during epidemiologic investigations;
· Coordinate disease information and data exchange with other divisions and other state and federal agencies;
· Integrate with internal and external stakeholders and program areas for public health emergency response, training initiatives, and coordination of staff activities;
· Serve as a subject matter expert for infectious disease for internal and external workgroups, task forces, and the media;
· Assist local staff and representatives of local, state, and federal legislative branches of governments to prepare reports and information for legislation related to communicable disease issues.
Possess a Master’s Degree in public health from an accredited university. A medical degree (MD or DO) from an accredited university; preferred
· Minimum three (3) years of supervisory experience
· Broad knowledge of principles and practices of public health and infectious disease, especially those applicable to the identification and control of infectious disease.
· Thorough knowledge of principles, practices and investigative procedures of infectious disease epidemiology.
· Advanced knowledge of statistical procedures used in data analysis.
· Considerable knowledge of grant writing.
· Thorough ability to initiate, conduct and report on epidemiological studies relating to various communicable diseases.
· Broad ability to apply and interpret federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, policies and recommendations relating to communicable disease.
· Extensive ability to interpret laws, formulate and implement administrative policy for a broad range of public health programs.
· Thorough ability to provide technical assistance to medical practitioners, hospital staff, public health officials, agency staff, businesses and lay individuals.
· Broad ability to communicate with health care professionals, state and local officials, public health officials, the media, and lay individuals verbally and in writing in individual or group settings.
· Broad ability to coordinate and maintain effective working relationships with various internal and external customers and stakeholders.
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement plans and accrued leave.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.