Notification Date: October 16, 2013
Abstract Submission Deadline: September 9, 2013
Online Application Deadline: September 16, 2013
Travel Award Information (pdf)
Description and Purpose
A limited number of stipends will be awarded to surveillance researchers and practitioners working in low-income and lower-middle-income countries, as defined by the World Bank, to cover travel and registration for the 2013 ISDS Conference. The purpose of this award is to strengthen workforce competencies in biosurveillance by providing eligible ISDS members the opportunity to:
- Disseminate innovative research and practice being done in one of the four conference tracks.
- Catalyze innovations in disease surveillance.
- Network with the broader biosurveillance community.
In order to be considered for the ISDS International Travel Award, you must:
- Be working as a surveillance professional in a low-income or lower-middle-income country, as defined by the World Bank.
- Be an ISDS Member at the time of application (NOTE: Professionals working in low-income and lower-middle-income countries are currently eligible for free ISDS membership for 1 year).
- Be in need of funding to attend the Conference.
Applications are no longer being accepted. However, applicants were asked to submit:
- An abstract that describes work being done in your country, and that is accepted for presentation at the 2013 ISDS Conference. Deadline for abstract submission is September 9, 2013 at 11:59pm EDT+
- The following information using the online application form by September 16, 2013 at (11:59pm EDT):
- Name, address, institutional affiliation, and position title.
Short statement about how your attendance at the 2013 ISDS Conference would advance the science and practice of disease surveillance in your country (no more than 500 words). If you would like to request funding to attend a Pre-Conference Workshop, please include this in your personal statement.
+Applicants will not know the status of their abstract at the time of submitting a stipend application, but ISDS staff will confirm abstract status before offering an award.
Successful applicants will be notified of award by October 16, 2013.
Award decisions will be made based on:
- Abstract acceptance by review committee
- Innovation of work described in the abstract
- Applicant’s personal statement